Monday, October 15, 2012

Microsoft’s Xbox Music service


Microsoft Xbox is one of my valued possessions; people would think that it would just be used for games but these days that is no longer the case. It has been based around being a game system now it is acting similar to a mix of a gaming system as well as a computer. Like I mentioned before I used my Xbox mostly for games in the past now I use it more for things not related to games. One of those things would be watching Netflix through my Xbox as well as watching sports events on ESPN 3. I think the idea of streaming Netflix through your Xbox was a great idea for Xbox as well as Netflix. I will always have an Xbox for the sole purpose of being able to stream movies or TV shows through my gaming device. They also allow you to download apps in your marketplace. I have the ESPN 3 app that allows me to watch college football games that are not on TV as a result of the area I live in. This whole idea of creating a new function for this device was an innovative idea.

At this time Xbox is now coming out with a music service that would address several demands by their customers. I am actually surprised they have not released such a product before this time. Apple is a competitor of Microsoft, and it appears that Microsoft is trying to come out with a product that is similar to Apple’s iTunes. “Microsoft announced Sunday that the all-in-one service will feature streaming online radio (think Pandora), an ad-supported or paid subscription service (say, Spotify) and, yes, music purchasing (a la iTunes). It begins rolling out Tuesday on the Xbox 360 system and will expand to the rest of the Microsoft product universe when its new operating system, Windows 8, is released October 26.” I find this to be something I would be very interested in using mostly because I like to listen to sports radio and other radio stations when I do things. Xbox music will contain 30 million songs, which makes it the world’s largest music library, in comparison iTunes contains 26 million. “Xbox Music will come installed as a feature on Windows 8. Using cloud storage, it will let users transport music from one device to another.” This would also create a larger value for Xbox down the line, it is becoming more and more like a computer as well as a gaming device. In my mind this is where the future will be, having a device that allows you to do everything such as play music, watch TV, movies, games and surf the web (soon enough..).

 

http://www.cnn.com/2012/10/15/tech/web/xbox-music/index.html?hpt=te_t1

No comments:

Post a Comment